Roller derby is one of the fastest growing sports in the world and it’s easy to see why.
Nothing compares to the feeling of strapping on some skates and hitting your pals in a battle to the death!
Okay, maybe it’s not quite that extreme but roller derby really is the most fun you can have on eight wheels.
With the start of a new year comes the start of a new season and a brand new opportunity to join your local roller derby league.
Here are some secrets about roller derby from Perth Roller Derby's Tough Bikkies and reasons why you should totally sign up this year.
Secret 1: Roller Derby Is Good For You
Photo: Matthew Boggs Photography
There are more than 600 muscles in the human body and roller derby will find a way to use every single one of them - even the ones you didn’t know were there.
Within a few short weeks of training you will be faster, stronger, and moving in ways you never thought possible.
You’ll want to put your skates on at every opportunity, and you should!
The more you skate, the fitter you’ll become.
Playing roller derby is good for your health. Fact.
Secret 2: Roller Derby Is Fun
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again; roller derby is the most fun you can have on eight wheels.
From learning new skills and sick tricks to messing with your friends on the track and executing that strategy you’ve worked so hard on - laughs and good times are packed into every training session.
But the fun doesn’t just happen on the track.
There are road trips with pals and weekends away, epic carpool karaoke battles, skate park shenanigans and a social calendar packed to the brim with parties, pageants and trips to the pub.
There’s never a dull moment in the derby community.
Secret 3: Roller Derby Teaches You Things
With a new sport comes a whole new range of exciting things to learn; there’s new skills, new rules, it can feel overwhelming at times.
But don’t stress.
Know that every single person in your league has been in your position before, and every single person wants to help you succeed.
We’ve got your back.
Go to training, ask questions, watch games, read the rules and don’t compare yourself to others.
Learning takes time, but it will all click into place. Trust me.
Secret 4: Roller Derby Is A Community
Photo: Matthew Boggs Photography
Do you remember that scene in that Harry Potter movie when Professor McGonagall says your roller derby league is like your family? No?
Well maybe she didn’t say that exactly.
But your league mates will stand by your side through your highs and lows and, if you’re lucky, sometimes they’ll even hug you and bring you food.
They’ll pick you up when you fall down and they’ll support you and encourage you to be the best you can be, both on the track and off it.
I met some of my best friends by playing this sport and I can’t imagine my life without them in it.
Joining my local league was the best decision I ever made.
So what are you waiting for?
How To Join
- You don't have to be a professional skater to join, most leagues will teach you everything from basic skating and stopping skills to blocking and game play. No experience necessary
- Contact your local league and find out when their next intake is, some will be once a year while others might offer multiple opportunities throughout the year
- Most leagues will run information nights or registration nights which are a great way to get more information and sign up
- Some leagues offer gear that you can hire until you buy your own while others will require you to have all your own gear from the first session
- Make sure you have all the necessary gear to take part, this includes skates, knee pads, elbow pads, wrist guards, a helmet and a mouth guard.